Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Anti-Cariogenic property of Restorative materials enhanced by Osteoporosis medication

Professor Salvatore Sauro, University CEU Cardenal Herrera, Spain, along with international researchers from Finland, Brazil, USA and U.K, demonstrated the efficacy of Zoledronic acid along with bio-active ion-releasing resin-based dental adhesives in reducing the occurrence of caries.

This combination effectively reduces the degradation of dentin collagen and promotes remineralisation at resin-dentin interface.

The Agent......Zoledronic acid is a bisphosphonate commonly used in the treatment of osteoporosis, Paget’s disease and bone cancer. It slows bone breakdown, increases bone density and reduces the amount of calcium released into the blood. 

Action.......Salvatore Sauro in his research showed that Zoledronic acid had the potential to inhibit the action of dentin MMP’s (Matrix Metalloproteinase) to hydrolyze the organic matrix of demineralized dentin, thus improving the bondage of resins to dentin and decreasing the incidence of caries. 

Dentin MMP’s are proteolytic enzymes trapped within the mineralized dentin matrix that are activated following acid-etching. It targets the collagen fibres that are left exposed after bonding with resin due to imperfect resin impregnation of the demineralized dentin matrix. 

Thus, this combination is definitely magical!
Wohooo! I need not worry .....My pearly whites are rescued!

Certainly, one can say that this premier research has paved the way for a new dental adhesive in town!

2 comments:

  1. My friend mentioned to me your blog, so I thought I’d read it for myself. Very interesting insights, will be back for more! buy roxicodone 30mg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for an interesting blog. What else may I get that sort of info written in such a perfect approach? I have an undertaking that I am just now operating on, and I have been on the lookout for such info. anxiety meds online

    ReplyDelete